Monday 21 May 2012

Archibald, Wynne and Sulman

21.5.12

At last, I made it to the AGNSW to see the Archibald, Wynne and Sulman exhibitions. As usual, the show is interesting but a mixed bag.  To me, the outstanding  work in the Archibald is the self portrait of  Jenny Sages, After Jack.

The Wynne is this year the most varied of the three shows with several very interesting works. The one that caught my eye was the large, ink on paper, view of Salamander Bay by Susan White. This work was also awarded the Trustees Watercolour Prize.  A lovely work with a gorgeous mood.

The Wynne has several other interesting works, I found myself liking Guy Maestri's  'No man's land no7',  Nick Harding's  'Pandanus 2012' and Robert Ewing's  'The passing storm'

This year the Sulman feels less satisfying than usual, my feeling was of entering entering a photographic exhibition as a large number of the works appear to be painted directly from photographs.  The outstanding  work in my view is the painting by Paul Ryan called 'Welcome to Wollongong'

No comments:

Post a Comment